Water conservation is the most cost-effective and environmentally sound way to reduce our demand for water. Saving water also saves energy. There are many simple but effective ways to conserve water around your home.
• Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and shaving. Saves three gallons each day.
• If you wash dishes by hand—that’s the best way—don’t leave the water running for rinsing. Saves 200 to 500 gallons a month.
• Keep a bottle of drinking water in the refrigerator. This beats the wasteful habit of running tap water to cool it for drinking.
• Don’t water the lawn on windy days. There’s too much evaporation. Can waste up to 300 gallons in one watering.
• Drive your car onto a lawn to wash it. Rinse water can help water the grass.